The State Opera Theatre is part of the Opera and Philharmonic Society of Varna, founded by a merger of the Opera House and Philharmonic Society in 1999. The history of the theatre, currently known as the Varna Opera Theater, dates back to 1912 when the foundation was laid for the theatre. Its creation was temporarily delayed due to the coming Balkan Wars. After the wars ended, the theatre was inaugurated in 1932.
It originally opened again in 1947 and until now the Opera House has held over 200 productions and nearly 7000 performances for more than 3 million spectators! The repertoire is rich and varies both in genre and style. It covers the major share of the opera heritage from the 18th and 19th-century and a number of the 20th-century masterpieces of the music stage art.